|The International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI) declared 2018 as the third International Year of the Reef and encourages to:|
- Strengthen awareness globally about the value of, and threats to, coral reefs and associated ecosystems;
- Promote partnerships between governments, the private sector, academia and civil society on the management of coral reefs;
- Identify and implement effective management strategies for conservation, increased resiliency and sustainable use of these ecosystems and promoting best practices; and
- Share information on best practices in relation to sustainable coral reef management.
- ICRI encourages its members to support and participate in planning for IYOR 2018, and to facilitate the development of national level IYOR activities.
Throughout the world, many activities will be taking place this year to inspire people about the coral reefs, as well as to raise awareness to their critical situation and to stand up for their protection. Scientists, various organizations and committed citizens work hand in hand in organizing lectures, exhibitions, campaigns and actions to spread the word.
On the official website at www.iyor2018.org you will find rich information:
Learn more about coral reefs, their tremendous importance and the today´s threats, the history of IYOR, Partners & participants, IYOR news, a growing list of events, and utilize freely available resources around our precious coral reefs, e.g. for educational purposes.